Saturday, February 19, 2011

Thinking Global, Acting Local


Viking Ship cuff links made from Antique Pewter Buttons
View from back
                                          
                                        
 Necklace made from Antique Sunflower Button on 14K gold chain with magnetic clasp (circa 1860-1880).
 Earrings made from Antique Glass Buttons on 14K gold posts.
 Vintage snowflake earrings made from rhinestone buttons (circa early 1900's-1950's).

Ring made from Antique Cherry button (circa 186-1880).
Below is the set up for display at the yoga studio.



Well, as the title of this post has alluded, I was thinking globally when I opened up my  esty shop in October and now I am acting uber-globally by making my pieces available at the local yoga studio.  I am so excited about this move. I'm saying, "Yes friends and neighbors, this is me.  Your local artisan.  Support me if you and can, and hey, I take special orders, too."  Those of you who know me, know very well that I am not shy at all.  I love meeting new people and love being the center of attention.  Yet, since starting this new business, I realized that I could  be shy when it came to promoting myself.  I just didn't want to be seen as a salesman  (my apologies to all of those salesmen out there).  Thankfully, those days are over.  I confidently showed the owner of the yoga studio my pieces and very skillfully came up with an organized inventory sheet that tastefully described, labeled, and priced my pieces. She loved my work and we came up with a business plan that we both found positive.  After leaving the studio that day with a deal sealed  I felt like a legitimate small business owner..  Yes!

Next week I plan on checking in a the studio to see how my pieces are selling.  I will keep you posted.  Until then, get out and enjoy the meltdown (in New England at least).